Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2016

POEM #2- BYGONES



April is National Poetry Month. For the past few years, I have joined my friend Mary Lee, at POETREPOSITORY and YEAR OF READING in writing a poem every day for a month. In 2013, 2we wrote based on images from Wikimedia Commons; in 2014, we did Wonders of the World; and last year we did Po-Emotions. This year, Mary Lee's theme is BYGONES. She has selected thirty photographs from a family collection, and is writing from one photograph every day. I'm not sure if I will write from Mary Lee's photographs every day, or if I will see if I can find some of my own. For the past few years, we have been joined by several other amazing poets- Kevin Hodgson and Steve Peterson. There are lots of others doing really interesting projects, and  Jama Rattigan has compiled a list  here. Here is day #2…



Photo "Lizzy" from Mary Lee Hahn


"Pretty"

Mama preaches
that preening and primping
are purely prideful

She praises pragmatism
prohibits pretension
makes me promise 
i will pursue
practicality

and in principle
i probably will

but occasionally
permitting 
all that pride
to prance 
and parade 
feels 
pretty perfect. 

(c) Carol Wilcox, 2016

3 comments:

Mary Lee said...

I love the multiple meanings of that last line! Such fun alliteration!!

Dogtrax said...

I love that you borrowed the image from Mary Lee and wove something new, as if passing a quilt around the couch and each of us adding some new threads.
Kevin

Linda B said...

It is wonderful alliteration, and considering the young girl's probably plain life, she must love her long, long hair. You've shown that well, Carol.