Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

IT'S MONDAY- WHAT ARE YOU READING?

Not a very good reading week. I have a terrific stack of TBRs, including CAPTURE THE FLAG by Kate Messner, but I didn't get much read this week. I had made a 1000 mile round trip to Utah the weekend before and had "jet lag" or "car lag" or whatever you want to call it, most of the week.


I read NIGHTSONG standing in Barnes and Noble and immediately started to cry. I think it could be a classic parent to child gift, along the lines of LOVE YOU FOREVER or THE PLACES YOU'LL GO. Written by Ari Berk and illustrated by one of my favorites, Loren Long (OTIS, MR PEABODY'S APPLES, OF THEE I SING), NIGHTSONG is about a little bat named Chiro. Chiro is growing up and his mama has decided it's time for him to make a solo flight. Chrio is a little afraid of the dark, but his mama tells him, "Sing out into the world, and [listen to] the song the world sings back to you. Sing, and the world will answer. That is how you’ll see.” Chiro starts out timidly, but gradually gains confidence. And Loren Long's illustrations are absolutely perfect-- I'm thinking this one could even get some recognition as a Caldecott.



My other read this week was adult memoir. DREAM NEW DREAMS was written by Jai Pausch. Her husband, Randy Pausch, was in his mid-forties, a professor at Carnegie Mellon, and the father of three small children, when he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. His book, THE LAST LECTURE,  was hugely popular about three years ago. DREAM NEW DREAMS tells their story from Jai's perspective. It's a book that could be really helpful, I think, for someone walking through the caregiver journey.

This week I really am going to get to CAPTURE THE FLAG.

4 comments:

GatheringBooks said...

Nightsong sounds like something that would capture my fancy as well. Will look for this book in our library. I know about Randy Pausch - it would indeed be interesting to hear his wife's perspective on his illness.

Teacher said...

Both books sound very good. I haven't yet read the Last Lecture, but I know it's touched many people. Thanks for sharing. :)

Linda B said...

two beautiful books to hear about, Carol. Thank you. I do know The Last Lecture-so inspiring, so thanks for this following book.

Franki said...

I read Nightsong this week too. Loved it. And we just finished Capture the Flag and had an AMAZING Skype visit with Kate Messner. WOW! Definitely a highlight of our year.