Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

STINK AND THE ULTIMATE THUMB WRESTLING SMACKDOWN- Megan McDonald

OK, so not only is this one a mini-review, but it probably falls into the "Everyone else has already read that, so why is she reviewing it" category. Well, I just bought it and read it this weekend, and it's on top of my bag waiting to go to school this morning, so here goes…

STINK is a series I love. The books are funny enough, and gross enough, that they grab the attention of my less engaged readers right away. The books are chapter books, but the chapters are short, and fairly easy, and there are comic/graphic novel inserts between each chapter, so kids who are not great readers can get through one in a few days. And there are six books in the series (and several more in the STINK AND JUDY MOODY series), so when I get a kid going on this series, I don't have to worry about that reader for a week or two.

In STINK: THE ULTIMATE THUMB WRESTLING SMACKDOWN, Stink has just received a report card. His graders are terrific, well, all except for his grade in gym, which is an UNSATISFACTORY (OK, so if I'm really honest maybe I love this book because I can so relate!). Stink's parents want him to take up a sport to improve his gym grade. Stink considers several, and finally decides on thumb wrestling. The only problem is, he is not very good at it, and keeps getting beaten by everyone, even the first grade girls…

Can't wait to hand this to Mr. T. this morning…

No comments: