Pages

Saturday, October 4, 2008

LETTER TO MY DAUGHTER- MAYA ANGELOU

 A new book from an old friend. One of my all time, all time, all time heroes is Maya Angelou. This week, a dear friend gifted me with Angelou's wonderful new book, LETTER TO MY DAUGHTER. 

LETTER TO MY DAUGHTER  is a collection of poems and essays about various "chapters" in Angelou's life. On one hand, it's a fast read- the stories are wonderful and inviting and easy to read. On the other hand, it's a really slow read, because every single page, maybe even every paragraph, has at least two or three morsels of wisdom that you have to kind of roll around in your head, and reflect, and sort of grow into. There's a poem about graduation that I think will be perfect to share with my 18-year-old niece this spring. There is a poem about grieving that would make a perfect sympathy card. 

Here are a few tidbits from the book:

"My life has been long, and believing that life loves the liver of it, I have dared to try many things, sometimes trembling, but daring, still."  (xi)

"You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them. Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud. Do not complain. Make every effort to change things you do not like. If you cannot make a change, change the way you have been thinking. You might find a new solution." xii

Never whine. Whining lets a brute know that a victim is in the neighborhood. xiii

Be certain that you do not die without having done something wonderful for humanity. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a middle school teacher. Do you feel this book is age-appropriate for young teens?

Patrice J. Lee said...

It's amazing. I just wrote a piece to recite at my church's coffee house entitle, "A Letter to My Daughter". It's about 8 lessons that I want to share with the daughter I one day hope to have. Little did I even imagine Ms. Angelou released this book a couple of months ago. Destiny is calling for words of wisdom to spill from the lips of women around the world. I look forward to reviewing this book.