Pages

Friday, July 11, 2008

POETRY FRIDAY


My poem is from Ralph Fletcher's waterific book, HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE BEACH LATELY? Ralph beautifully captures experiences of a day at the beach- getting buried in the sand, finding a hermit crab, playing in the waves, a summer storm, a beach barbecue. Perfect for reading at the beach, or for those of us land-locked beach wannabes in hot, dry Colorado!





The First Time

On my first trip to the beach
the sea refused to cooperate.

It kept curling and whirling
        bobbing and weaving
         clearing its throat
        whenever a wave drew back.

It kept moving and grooving
       shucking and jiving
      dishing and dancing
      razzling and dazzling

wouldn't keep still even 
long enough to shake hands.

- Ralph Fletcher

2 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Yes, beaches are indeed foreign territory in CO!

Justin Matott said...

I love your blog site and hope to be on it sometime. I am a Colorado poet and kid's book author. I wish all teachers and lit coaches would blog so kids could see the modeling it provides.

Also, you made me want to go to the beach, NOW!

Cheers to you! JM